- Deafness is America's leading disability affecting 28 million people of all ages.
- 2 million Americans are completely deaf.
- 75% of people with hearing loss don't seek treatment because of misinformation, fear or simple vanity.
- 5 million Americans wear hearing aids. 15 million other people who have tried to wear hearing aids have been unable to benefit from them. 20 million then, need better hearing aids.
- Although approximately 500,000 to 725,000 Americans with severe-to-profound hearing loss could benefit from cochlear implants, only about 5% have been implanted
Infants and Children
- Hearing loss is America's number one birth defect
- At least 1 million children are deaf or have a communication disorder
- One of every 1,000 infants is born totally deaf. Half of these cases are thought to be genetic.
- 3-4 of every 1,000 infants have significant hearing impairment.
- Age-related hearing loss affects 1 in 3 Americans over 65, nearly 1 in every 2 Americans over 75 and 4 out of 5 over the age of 85 impairing communication & social skills.