Approximately 60-70 patients are evaluated weekly by the neuro-ophthalmology service. Outpatient clinics meet twice per week. Patients present with a variety of neuro-ophthalmic illnesses, including optic nerve problems, cranial neuropathies, neuromuscular difficulties, orbital and intracranial tumors, systemic inflammatory disease, neurovascular disease and disorder of visual perception. Only those patients requiring neurosurgical evaluation and treatment are not treated at New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai. The neuro-ophthalmology service performs the diagnostic work-up for all neuro-ophthalmology patients prior to any referral.
The neuro-ophthalmology service works in partnership with Mount Sinai Health System Interventional Neuroradiology, Neurology, and Neurosurgical Services. The neuro-ophthalmology service provides services to most of the medical institutions in the New York metropolitan area in the form of second opinions or collaborative care.
Research is a major feature of the Neuro-Ophthalmology Service
NYEE is an important study site in the NEI sponsored Neuro-Ophthalmology Research Disease Investigator Consortium (NORDIC). There are ongoing studies on idiopathic intracranial hypertension and papilledema, ischemic optic neuropathy, optic neuritis, ocular myasthenia gravis, and optical imaging of acute optic nerve injury.
NEI/NORDIC Sponsored Studies
- A Multicenter, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Study of Weight-Reduction and/or Low Sodium Diet plus Acetazolamide vs Diet plus Placebo in Subjects with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension with Mild Visual Loss IIHTT Study
- A Multicenter, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Study of Weight-Reduction and/or Low Sodium Diet Plus Acetazolamide vs. Diet Plus Placebo in Subjects with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension with Mild Visual Loss - Blood and CSF Substudy ( IIHTT substudy)
- Long-Term Follow-up of the Cohort from a Multicenter, Double-Masked, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study of Weight-Reduction and/or Low-Sodium Diet plus Acetazolamide vs. Diet plus Placebo in Subjects with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension with Mild Visual Loss (LIIHTT)
A 48- week, double blind, randomized, multi-center, parallel group study comparing structural changes in the retina and evolution of visual function after immediate versus delayed treatment with fingolimod in patients with acute demyelinating optic neuritis
- Occlusion Therapy for Acute Optic Neuritis: A Pilot Study
- Biomarker/Gene Expression Pilot Study on Ocular Myasthenia Gravis
- Validity of Color Vision Testing on iPhone and Android Based Smartphones
- The treatment of a patient with Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy (LHON) with idebenone
- Structure-Function Relationship in Optic Nerve Head Drusen
- Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography of Anomalous Optic Discs