New York, NY (September 2009) -- Founded in 1820 and located at the same corner of 14th Street and Second Avenue for over 150 years, NYEE has helped generations of New Yorkers to see, hear and speak better. The current “home” to the Infirmary was dedicated on April 25, 1856, and is one of the longest continuously occupied locations of any hospital in New York City.
As the neighborhood and New York City change, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary wants to keep hearing from the community. The hospital would like to hear from its neighbors about a proposed renovation of its surgical suites which will extend the building’s footprint by approximately 6 feet into an existing hospital parking lot.
In addition the hospital is seeking local input in accordance with New York State’s Prevention Agenda for the Healthiest State on a three-year community preparedness and prevention plan for chronic eye disease.
A public meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 23, 2009, at 6:00 PM in the hospital’s Board Room. RSVP to 212.979.4472 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Neighbors who cannot attend but wish to comment on either issue may also e-mail their responses to email@example.com.
Not only is NYEE the first, it is one of the busiest specialty hospitals in the nation. Its major departments are Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, performing more than 25,000 surgical procedures and 225,000 outpatient visits a year. New York Eye and Ear Infirmary is a member of Continuum Health Partners and an affiliated teaching hospital of New York Medical College.
The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary Public Affairs Office can be contacted at 212-979-4274.